I came across this picture of a crochet motif cardigan a couple of years ago on a blog and fell in love with the cardigan but I had no idea where the pattern came from so I could not get hold of the actual pattern.
Every now and then I would search for it but without any luck until one day I came across it on Google picture search and this pointed to Ravelry, only to find out it is a Japanese pattern (no problem) but it was in a Japanese book (no problem), I could not seem to purchase anywhere (problem). Having purchased Japanese books many times from this great etsy shop Pomadour24
I messaged them to ask if they could get it and guess what – they could. She has managed to get a couple of books for me previously just by supplying a picture of the front cover.
I duly started my cardigan but knew it would have to be a background task as making that many motifs would be a long hard slog. I had chosen after a lot of deliberation to use Sirdar Heart and sole for the coloured part of the motif as it was quite hard to get co-ordinating colours. I didn’t use the blue colourway. For the joining I used Rowan fine lace doubled (from stash – yaah).
Many many motifs later ……
Before I started assembling the cardigan I used wooden skewers to hold each row of motifs in the correct order so I didn’t have to find the next one I just slid it off the skewer
To join all the motifs together I used a Join As You Go method of assembly which is great as you only get a couple of ends instead of two for each motif.
The cardigan is now blocked and is looking good, all I have to do is sew in all the coloured ends (yuk)
I’m so please with this even though its taken a year as a background task
Having come down with the worst cold I’ve ever had ( no exaggeration) I achieved absolutely nothing this week apart from sniffing, sneezing, blowing my nose and feeling sick all the time.
Not only have I been feeling miserable but the weather has been atrocious. It has been so windy and rainy here is feels like April showers on a high.
So I need to catch up on everything starting here.
Firstly I’ve been nominated for another Blog award by fsszj who has nominated me for the One Lovely Blog Award. Thanks – I do appreciate it and I will pass it on as soon as I can.
Not only did I have this cold but so did Julie who was going to tutor the Knitting workshop on Saturday with me but she was just as ill as me, so we cancelled our workshop. All the ladies were lovely when we cancelled the workshop, we will re-arrange it ASAP.
Above are some of the things we were going to cover in our workshop.
We have also had Petes mother down (“mother in law”) for a long weekend as it her 85th Birthday last friday on the 15th. They’ve gone out for a walk so hence I’m catching up with my blog.
The weather today is calm – no wind – yippee and sunny so far. I walked the dog this morning and it was a pleasure to get out and about without wearing wellies ( although there is lots of mud and puddles around) and a raincoat.
The third knit of the pattern came out a lot better. The Union jack works better in fair isle style knitting. I had knitted the union jack with a pennant shaped bottom but that looked just weird so I folded it up behind the flag and tacked it into place so I ended up with an oblong middle pennant as you see in the picture. The Union Jack is a charted design.
The weather was not been bright enough to get a decent photo of the bunting so I’ve very amateurishly photoshopped the bunting on to a nice sunny day at the beach. I will take another picture for real when the weather gets better.
I wanted to get this pattern out as people are starting to gear up for not only our olympics but the Queens Jubilee in June this year.
We are also taking part in Knit in Public week. We will be knitting in public on the 9th/10th June by knitting in public on Swanage pier. We will be inviting the local & visiting knitters along to knit an additional pennant for the bunting.
Union Jack Bunting – using DK yarn
Pattern for bunting with a Union Jack centre pennant. Made from DK yarn
Ideal for this year’s Queens jubilee celebration and street parties
Made a couple of adjustments to pattern. Still not 100% with it so will make one or two more adjustments and it should be OK. Then I will work on the rest of the pattern for the bunting to go with it. Added a border and knitted Fair Isle style rather than intarsia, it is a lot neater and no ends to sew in.
Spent some time working on a new pattern. Part of it is a Union Jack – so I had to make a Union Jack knitting chart. This is the first knit of the chart – will be making a couple of small changes to the chart. We shall see what the next one looks like. Also finishing a jumper that has taken a long time to knit don’t know why but I keep getting side tracked by other projects.