I’ve been meaning to publish this free pattern for an absolute age.
If you wish to print this pattern click on the bear!!
Knit in any DK yarn on 3.5mm needles.
Medium size bear knitted in DK yarn.
Approx 27cm tall
1 x 100g Patons 100% Cotton DK shade 2715 – Nougat (Pink) or shade 2702 Sky (Blue)
1 pair 3.50mm knitting needles,
Contrast coloured yarn for eyes, ears, nose, mouth and paws
3 x buttons
Note:Bear is knitted in one piece from toe to toe, and then folded over and sewn into shape before being stuffed and having features added.
1. With 3.50 mm needles cast on 12 stitches.
2. Work straight in stocking stitch for 25 rows, ending on a purl row.
3. Break yarn and transfer stitches to a stitch holder.
4. Repeat for second leg, again ending with a purl row. Do NOT break yarn.
5. Knit across the leg just worked, and then pick up stitches from the stitch holder (24 stitches).
Body & Arms:
1. Work straight in stocking stitch for 25 rows.
2. Cast on 18 stitches at the beginning of the next two rows. These form the arms, a total of 60 stitches (18 arm +24 body+18 arm).
3. Work straight in stocking stitch for 15 rows.
4. Cast off 18 stitches at the beginning of each of the next 2 rows, to finish the arms (24 stitches remaining)
Head (front & back):
1. Work straight in stocking stitch for 50 rows for head in picture or 60 rows for a bigger head.
Arms & Body:
1. Cast on 18 stitches at the beginning of the next two rows. These form the arms, a total of 60 stitches (18 arm +24 body+18 arm).
2. Work straight in stocking stitch for 15 rows.
3. Cast off 18 stitches at the beginning of each of the next 2 rows, to finish the arms (24 stitches remaining)
4. Work straight in stocking stitch for 25 rows.
1. Work first 12 stitches on needle and transfer the remaining 12 stitches to a stitch holder.
2. Work straight in stocking stitch for 25 rows. Cast off.
3. Pick up stitches from stitch holder & put back onto needle, rejoin yarn and work straight in stocking stitch for 25 rows for second leg. Cast off.
Fold bear in half along the head section ensuring legs and arms line up neatly. Sew up bear leaving a gap (for stuffing) on one side of the body.
Make neck by weaving a length of yarn in and out around the bear where the arms join. Pull tight & knot but leave a gap so the head can be stuffed. Create ears by running stitches across the corner at each side of the head.
Stuff the bear, filling the head, then arms, then legs and then the body. Sew up the gap in the body.
Using a contrast yarn and the picture as a guide, embroider the eyes, nose, ears, mouth and paws. Weave in any loose ends. Sew on 3 buttons down the chest.
With 3.5cm needles, cast on 5 stitches. Knit in garter stitch for 36cm, cast off. Weave in any loose ends.
If giving to a small child please omit the scarf and the buttons, also make sure all embroidery is secure.
You now have a new friend…….
Please do not copy, resell or sell this pattern. You may print a copy for your own personal use for the purpose of making the pattern item.
You are welcome to sell the finished items you have made at craft fairs, Etsy and such like but please do not use this pattern for large-scale volume commercial purposes.